I Thessalonians 5:18
"In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you." I Thessalonians 5:18
Sunday, August 7, 2011
Finding Blessings Through Tears
One year ago our family changed forever. One bad decision resulted in tragedy. One knock on the door brought devastating news. One phone call brought us to our knees. Nothing could have prepared us for August 8, 2010. For those of you that know me well, you know this isn't the first time we have lost a loved one. I can assure you that it doesn't get any easier. I think losing Jill and Niko hurts more because the hole in my heart just got bigger. I will say however, that I felt the peace of God more than I ever have prior to the accident. Very soon after the accident I remember a thought that entered my mind. It was, "look for the silver lining." I had no idea where that was coming from and it was somewhat irritating. We were all devastated and how could there possibly be anything good that could come of this nightmare????? But, I kept hearing that still small voice reminding me that I was not alone and that God was unfolding His plan. The Lord kept taking me back to the weeks and months after the loss of my siblings to remind me of how He helped me through the pain and used that time in my life to strengthen my faith. As I began to realize what God was doing, I decided to try it His way for awhile. I then started to keep a mental note of all of God's blessings during this difficult time. Things like friends and family coming from all over just to love on us and help in any way they could. Homes were made available to us to stay in while we were in Virginia. Prayer warriors who faithfully prayed for us and continue to do so a year later. God was there even in the little things. We had more food than we knew what to do with, our cars were cleaned and the dogs were walked and groomed. If there was anything that we could have possibly needed, all we had to do was say the word and it was delivered to our door. There were too many blessings to count! God had my attention now and I began to feel this overwhelming peace that God was in control and He was doing something amazing! In my own life, God continued to challenge me to stop wasting my time on the insignificant things and start focusing on the eternal things. God used Jill and Niko's lives to encourage and bless others. What is more amazing is that even in their death, God continues to use them to be a light in a very dark world! I can't think of a better blessing/silver lining than that! In the midst of my grief, God presented me with a challenge-finding blessings through tears! ~Melissa
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOOFAaUGfRE
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Well said, Melissa. I started a draft for my blog yesterday (and I must say ahead of time. . . our posts are look very much alike!) God is good to let us share in so many of these blessings in disguise.
ReplyDeleteLove you!